"The camera can capture my face, but until it captures my soul, you ain't got a movie"


Thursday 17 November 2016

My First Album Artwork Draft

I designed a digi-pack for our artist as part of her music campaign. The most important element of the album cover is the artist.The style I was going for was a mysterious, seductive and enchanting digi-pack that celebrates the artist.

For the colour scheme, we wanted to continue a similar colour scheme to what we had in our music video. These were neon blues and pinks. 


I used Adobe Colour Wheel to select the colours I would like to incorporate into the album artwork. I liked the different shades of blue and pink to incorporate into the album artwork. However, just like the video, I want to have low-key lighting to give a mysterious and chiaroscuro effect to the photo. 


On our shoot day we didn't have enough time to film the final shot of her dress being blown by a fan. Therefore, I decided to incorporate the element of the fan into the digi-pack. I want photos of the artist wearing a dress that is being blown by a fan. I want the front cover to show the artist's dress flowing in the wind, this will also cement her iconic 'godess' image. Then I want to incorporate the snake element from the intial music video concept. Additionally, she wore some snake inspired jewellery in the music video, so I would like to further exhibit this element.

After researching similar album artworks, It has given me an idea of how I should present the artist on the album. I want a digi-pack design that showcases the artist as being seductive but also as mysterious. For example: The pose and blowing fabric on Mariah Carey's album cover. 


Our artist is of the R&B genre and is female. Therefore she is most likely a synthetic artist-according to Negus's theory. In that case, the artist should be marketed based off her looks and personality.

I was inspired by famous synthetic artists who are marketed on their looks and personality. 



That is why I designed the front cover to showcase the artist. The long shot angle, glorifies her image and presents her as being a big artist.


 I also wanted to showcase her confident and diva personality. So I decided to have her skirt blow dramatically, this showcases her glamorous style. This will appeal to our target audience of females 18-21 years old; because it reflects their ideologies of looking good and being feminine. Additionally, her posing on the cover connotes that she is powerful and independent which will attract young adult females who believe in the same female empowering message. The audeince will also be interested by the front cover because the front cover is a long-shot this suggests to the audience that she is open to them; because her whole body is in the frame. 

                                   
For the sidebar, I wanted it to be simplistic but still convey the artists persona. I used a snake motif on the side bar and also used snakes to spell out her name. The name 'Zoe' is not definite and was only as a suggestion.


Across the digi-pack their are mid-shots of her body which allows the artist to be connected to the audience and share a close, intimate experience.

I also incorporated the snake element on the CD side of the digi-pack. The snake symbolizes the artists seductive, alluring and dangerous nature. This is appealing to audiences because it presents the artist as defying the norms and being different/rebellious. 

On the back of the digi-pack she is in a silhouette's and is darkly lit. This follows Dyer's star theory that 'the artist must be both present and absent'.  Therefore connecting with the audience by being mysterious and elusive which make her more desirable.








No comments:

Post a Comment